Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
Low calorie, low fat, filling breakfast custard that you can make-ahead for the week. 60 minutes prep time is because the steel cut oats take so long to cook. I usually place two bars in a bowl, microwave them for about 2 minutes, break them up with a spoon and top with vanilla soy milk, but I'm sure it would be equally good with cream, regular milk or perhaps even yogurt. I especially like it because it provides protein and carb in one bowl.
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup steel cut oats (McCann's)
- 3 cups egg substitute (Regular Egg Beaters)
- 1 medium banana, Mashed
- 1 cup blueberries, Washed, stems removed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- Bring water to a boil in a medium to large sauce pan.
- Add Oats, stirring while boiling until water becomes cloudy and a little thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring once or twice, for 30 - 45 minutes.
- Let oatmeal cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add remaining ingredients to pot.
- Stir well to ensure all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Spray a 9 x 12 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour ingredients of pot into sprayed baking pan.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 45 minutes to one hour, or until the top of the custard is firm to the touch.
- Turn off the oven and let the "custard" cool in the pan - this lets the last of liquid thicken up.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice the custard into 10 even pieces.