Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
great for breakfast to go!
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed firm
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate (optional) or 1 cup peanut butter chips (optional)
- Combine all ingredients and press in a greased 9x9 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Mixture will harden as it cools.
- Cut in squares when cool.
Tasted good, but could use some extra flavoring. Maybe some vanilla or coconut extract? I used 1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter instead of the chips and was out of baking powder so left that off. They rose fine, but were so crumbly that I had to use a spoon and bowl to eat them. Not good for commuting in the mornings, unfortunately. I'd like to try and make them again, perhaps using an extra egg to hold them together. I like the texture --more chewy and soft than crunchy. Too bad they were so prone to breaking.
Excellent, Healthy. I substituted the chips for dried chopped fruit, and added shredded coconut. Quick, simple, cheap to make.
These taste okay but are definitely not a granola bar or any bar for that matter as mine were very crumbly also and would not stay together in a bar form. You could not eat these on the run without making a big mess. Very easy to make and uses typical pantry items so that is a plus.