Recipe by DuChick
This recipe seems to have everything a hungry person needs for breakfast. I found this in an old cookbook, and the picture looks fabulous! I would think alternate ingredients would work just as well: sausage, onion, bacon, different cheeses.
- 1 loaf round bread (8-9 inch diameter)
- 4 ounces sliced ham
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 1 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced and cooked
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare Scrambled Eggs:.
- Melt butter in 10 inch skillet over medium heat.
- Season eggs with salt and pepper.
- Add eggs to skillet; cook, stirring gently and lifting to allow uncooked eggs to flow under cooked portions. Do not overcook; eggs should be soft with no liquid remaining.
- Remove skillet from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Prepare Loaf Ingredients:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut a 2 inch slice from top of loaf and set aside for lid.
- Remove soft interior of loaf, leaving a 1 inch thick wall and bottom.
- Place ham on bottom of loaf.
- Top with bell pepper rings.
- Sprinkle with half of cheeses.
- Layer scrambled eggs, olives and tomato over cheeses.
- Top with remaining cheeses and mushrooms.
- Place lid on loaf.
- Wrap loaf in foil.
- Place on baking sheet and bake about 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Unwrap loaf from foil and cut into 8 wedges.