I find this recipe simple and the aroma mmmmm. The secret making hash browns is to partially cook the potatoes first so they do not discolor when you cook them. The cheese in this recipe helps them hang together so you get a golden cake of hash browns not just broken up bits. Boil your potatoes ahead of time and it will only take 10-15 minutes to finish them at breakfast
- Boil the potatoes until just barely tender, set aside to cool so you can handle them.
- Grate the potatoes.
- Spray a non stick skillet with veggie oil and place half the potatoes in it, sprinkle with salt& pepper.
- Top with cheddar, green onions& bacon.
- Add remaining potatoes, pat down.
- Turn heat to high and cook about 5 minutes, shaking pan to keep the potato cake loose.
- Using a spatula lift edges carefully to see when the bottom is golden brown.
- Place a plate over the skillet and invert the pan getting the potato cake out in one piece, brown side up on the plate.
- Spray the skillet with oil again and slide the potato cake back into the pan uncooked side down.
- Cook about another 5 minutes.
- Slide back onto a plate and cut into wedges.