Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great casserole that you can assemble the night before and bake in the morning. I make this on Monday morning and have enough leftover for breakfast for most of the week. This works out well on school mornings.
- 1 package simply potatoes southwest hash brown
- 1 lb breakfast sausage (I like the Sage flavored. )
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese or 1 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 dozen egg
- 2⁄3 cup Bisquick
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Follow cooking instructions on sausage packaging and crumble while cooking. Drain any excess liquid when finished. In a large bowl, toss together hash browns, sausage and cheese, set aside. In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients and whisk or use a hand blender until the eggs start to foam on the top. Coat a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spay or butter. Place hash brown mixture into baking dish and pour egg mixture over the top. Make sure the egg mixture completely saturates the potatoes. Cover and place in the refrigerator if baking in the morning. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Place foil over the casserole about half way through as the top will start to brown.
- OPTIONS: You can sprinkle additional cheese on the top before taking it out of the oven.
- I usually use some freshly grated cheese in the recipe, as it seems to have more moisture and I find the packaged shredded variety a little dry. This usually will make a difference when refrigerating and reheating leftovers, so the casserole won't become too dried out.
- Try adding any leftover or fresh vegetables you might have on hand. Remember that frozen veges will contain some water, in which you would need to increase your baking time.
- Substitute the sausage with precooked crumbled bacon. Not sure how much you would use.
- Serve with salsa.
Made this the other day & shared most of it with a house-bound neighbor couple who had a big family reunion with over-night guests! What we had for the 2 of us was very, very nice, & another time I want to make it in several smaller casseroles! I did use a mild Italian sausage & had some homemade salsa that I served with it! Thanks for a great breakfast! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef] Want to check out PAC? Click on this link = http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=327498