Recipe by cervantesbrandi
This gravy is a recipe that has been passed down by my great grandmother from Sweet Home Alabama! I love this gravy over biscuits and eggs. I hope you enjoy this recipe as my family has for many years.
Top Review by Little Of Everything
I did not like this at all. I gave it three stars because my hubby loved it. He likes a really thick down home gravy, and this is one. What I didn't like about this recipe was the amounts. I guess that the sausage that I used had way too much grease, so when I added the flour, absolutely nothing happened. I had to drain half the grease to get it to work, and by then, my sausage had burned up to little crunchy balls of nothing. I had to start over. I also like a gravy with a lot more milk, or cream, so that it is creamy. This just tasted greasy to me. This is not the pretty white gravy you see in restaurants if thats what you're looking for.
- 2 lbs breakfast sausage
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage and break up into bite size pieces.
- Cook until fully done.
- Add flour to the sausage and grease and cook until it has a pasty consistency.
- Add milk very slowly to sausage making sure to mix well and avoid lumps.
- Cook on medium heat stirring occasionally until it is a thick gravy.
- Finally add buttermilk pepper and salt to taste.
- Let the gravy once again thicken for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Serve hot over fresh baked biscuits.