Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
Got this from my grocery store.
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 cup cooked medium grain rice
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- raspberry preserves or strawberry preserves
- In a heavy skillet or saucepan, pour the oil to a depth of 2 inches and heat until hot.
- In a medium bowl, combine baking mix, rice, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tsps orange zest, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In a cup whisk the water, egg and vanilla together and add to the baking mix mixture.
- Using a fork, stir until the batter is moist and thick.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into the hot oil and fry for 2-2 1/2 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Combine the remaining sugar and orange zest in a shallow bowl and stir to mix.
- While the fritters are still very warm, roll them in the sugar mixture to coat.
- Serve immediately with the preserves on the side.