Recipe by Leslie in Texas
Start this breakfast casserole the night before. Serve with salsa and a side fruit salad to start your morning with something special. Originally from a November 2006 issue of Southern Living. For a change, substitute ground pork sausage, either mild or spicy, for the ham. Prep time does not include chill or standing time.
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced (about 3/4 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, diced
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 2 cups half-and-half (I've used the fat-free version)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle cooked ham and chopped green onions evenly down the center of each tortilla;top each with 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese.
- Roll up tortillas and place, seam sides down, in a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; pour mixture evenly over tortillas.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before baking.
- Bake, covered, at 350°F for 20 minutes; uncover and bake 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheddar cheese and bake 3-4 more minutes or until cheese melts.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.