Perfect for those Sunday brunches! Prepare this recipe ahead, without baking, and refrigerate overnight. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, and bake as directed. Also, make the cheese sauce before scrambling the eggs, so that the sauce will be ready to add at the proper time. Enjoy!!
- 1 (1 lb) package hot pork sausage (ground or removed from casings)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 14 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese sauce (recipe follows)
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded jalapeno jack cheese
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies, undrained
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- halved grape tomatoes
- sliced green onion
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Enchiladas: Cook sausage in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove from pan; drain well, pressing between paper towels.
- Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and cilantro, and saute one minute. Add eggs, salt, and pepper; cook, WITHOUT stirring, until eggs begin to set on bottom. Draw a spatula across bottom of pan to form large curds. Continue to cook until eggs are thickened, but still moist; do NOT stir constantly. Remove from heat and gently fold in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese sauce and the cooked sausage.
- Spoon about 1/3 cup of the egg mixture down the center of each tortilla; roll up; place seam side down in a lightly greased 13"x9" baking dish. Pour remaining cheese sauce evenly over the tortillas. Sprinkle evenly with Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes or until sauce is bubbly. Serve with desired toppings.
- Cheese Sauce: Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining cheese sauce ingredients. Makes 4 cups.