I based this recipe off kzbhansen's Bacon and Egg Empanadas. While these are a huge hit with the family, with over 30 g of fat they don't really fit into the healthier lifestyle we are aiming for. This lighter version checks in at only 3 WW points. The vegetables can be exchanged however you like with minimal impact on the points value. I suggest trying mushrooms, peppers or tomatoes in the empanadas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup frozen spinach, chopped thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 1/4 cups Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 2 slices lean bacon, browned crisp and crumbled
- 8 refrigerated reduced-fat buttermilk biscuits, jumbo flaky variety
- 8 pieces Laughing Cow light garlic and herb cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2Saute onion in oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat until the onion is soft.
- 3Add hashbrowns and spinach, saute until all the moisture is gone and the potatoes start to brown. Move to a large mixing bowl.
- 4Spray the non-stick skillet with butter flavored spray and heat over medium heat; add egg beaters and cook without stirring until eggs begin to set on bottom. Draw spatula across bottom of skillet to form large curds. Continue cooking until eggs are slightly thickened but still moist. (Do NOT stir constantly).
- 5Remove from heat and let cool, add to mixing bowl. Add bacon to bowl and stir well.
- 6Separate each biscuit to form a total of 16. Biscuits should be separated using the layers and be as close to even as possible. Flatten each biscuit into about a 5 inch circle.
- 7Spread cheese evenly over the tops of dough circles, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edges.
- 8Top evenly with egg mixture.
- 9Fold dough circles in half over mixture, pinching edges to seal.
- 10Place 2 inches apart in a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan coated with Pam.
- 11Press sealed edges with the tines of a fork.
- 12Bake at 375°F 14-16 minutes until golden brown.
- 13Remove empanadas with a spatula onto a wire rack.
- 14Serve warm.
- 15To freeze: After baking allow empanadas to cool fulling. Place into a zip-top bag and freeze.
- 16To serve: From frozen, wrap empanada with a paper towel. Place on a microwave safe plate and microwave on 50% power 1-2 minutes or until the empanada is heated all the way through.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Empanadas (Light Version - 3 Pt)
Serving Size: 1 (37 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.4
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 132.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Egg Beaters egg substitute
Laughing Cow light garlic and herb cheese