Recipe by WI Cheesehead
Looking for more versatile breakfast recipes? I got this from Vegetarian Times.
Top Review by I'mPat
Thoroughly enjoyed this egg nest (I made one and served some crispy bacon on the side) I used wholegrain/wholemeal bread, baby portabella mushroom, dried tarragon and swiss cheese and a sprinkle of smoked paprika and it all came together beautifully, thank you WI Cheesehead and WI Gal for the recommendation, made for I Recommend tag game.
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- 4 medium cremini mushrooms, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (white & green)
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coat 6 (6 oz) ramekins with cooking spray and place on sheet pan.
- Flatten each bread slice with a rolling pin to 1/8-inch thickness and place in ramekins, pressing against bottom and sides, and overlapping where necessary.
- Combine mushrooms, green onion and tarragon in small bowl; season with salt and pepper and divide among ramekins.
- Break 1 egg carefully into each ramekin; top with cheese and paprika; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, rotating pan after 10 minutes, or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are still creamy. Bake slightly longer for hard cooked yolks.
- Cool on rack 2 minutes, then unmold, and transfer to serving plates.