Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Lowfat breakfast dish. May be baked ahead, refrigerated, and reheated at breakfast. It will take about 40 minutes to reheat. I use reduced-fat cheese. NONFAT doesn't melt enough!
- 3 cups egg substitute (equivalent to 12 eggs)
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄4 lb Canadian bacon, chopped
- 5 ounces low fat reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup (1/2 can)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9- by 12-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Saute the mushrooms and onions in margarine; set aside.
- Mix the soup with water; set aside.
- Pour half of egg substitute in bottom of dish. Layer onion and mushrooms, soup and Canadian bacon. Pour remaining egg substitute over all. Top with cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and the dish is hot and set all of the way through; about 30 minutes.
I made a single serving in a ramekin and I really can't tell you how much I enjoyed this little gem of a recipe. I used old cheddar that really set of the eggs, bacon and mushrooms beautifully. This is very simple. This one is a keeper.
This was a great dish to use for a group, and it was all eaten up, with none left, not even a spot. I did use the egg sub, and also the full round of all other ingredients. The only change was using my own homemade mushroom soup that I had made previously for Thanksgiving. I loved this, and will make sure we make this again, it was already requested for XMAS breakie. Thanks, mikekey! Made for *Everyday is a Holiday* Novembre 2009
This was a wonderful breakfast enjoyed by the whole family.... I fixed this one morning and it was a breeze to fix... So simple and quick to put together, and then you are able to sit and enjoy your family while it is cooking.... I used cooked turkey bacon in place of the canadian bacon.... Next time I'll try the canadian bacon, we just didn't have any on hand.... The fresh mushrooms were amazing and gave this dish a wonderful flavor.... I also used 12 eggs instead of the egg substitute... Again, it is what I had on hand.... Thanks so much for sharing....