A hearty southerwestern/Mexican inspired breakfast by Mele Cott blog.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 corn tostadas
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 pinch paprika
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup diced bell pepper (mix of red, green and yellow)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into 12 slices
- 1 dash limes (for avocado) or 1 dash lemon juice (for avocado)
- 4 tablespoons shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 4 slices ripe tomatoes
- sour cream (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Place the tostados on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- 2In a bowl, whisk together eggs, seasoning and milk; set aside.
- 3Squeeze and gently toss, with lemon or lime juice to prevent discoloring; set aside.
- 4In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently, until fragrant. Add bell pepper, jalapeno and onion; cook until soft, about 5 minutes. When vegetables are soft, add the eggs. Stir to scramble, about 3 minutes, depending on preference for doneness. Remove from heat.
- 5Turn oven broiler on to heat while assembling the tostadas. Place one tomato slice on tostada. Add 1/4 of the egg mixture to each tomato slice. Top with three slices of avocado. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cheese on each tostadas. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, until the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Egg and Avocado Tostada
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.6
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 200.8 mg
- Sodium 315.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 10.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: