Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mother-in-law's recipe for her Famous Christmas Custard! Make sure you add all of the bread or the custard will not set. This can be made the night before.
- 8 slices quality bacon or 1 lb sausage links
- 8 slices firm white bread, cut into cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 5 beaten eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
- Arrange bread and bacon/sausage on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- In a separate bowl combine eggs, milk, cream, and seasonings.
- Pour egg mixture into the baking dish.
- At this point you may cover and put into fridge over night.
- Bake at 350 degrees uncovered until puffed and browned (about an hour).