These truly are cookies for breakfast! Low in fat and high in protein, they are a perfect choice to grab on the run.
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats (NOT quick!)
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup approximately prune puree (*)
- 1 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricots (optional) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional) or 1⁄2 cup craisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Drop by 1/4 cup measuring cup or large ice cream scoop on a baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Flatten to 1/2-inch tall with DAMP hands.
- The cookies do not flatten much while baking.
- Oven temperature is 350*.
- Bake 8 minutes for chewy cookies, 10 minutes for dry cookies (chewy is best!).
- *I use 4 or 5 boxes of pureed baby prunes.