Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
From another site that I've yet to make yet but am planning on!
Make and share this Breakfast Cookie Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup dried fruit, packed and chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mashed bananas or 1⁄2 cup berries or 1⁄2 cup pureed pear (get creative)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray a 9x13 (or a little smaller) pan with nonstick spray.
- Mix all ingredients, pat thinly on bottom of pan, sprinkle with extra cinnamon and bake for 30 minutes.
- WAIT TO COOL before removing or they will crumble.
I went looking for a healthy recipe (ie not 2C sugar) for a breakfast cookie like in the stores and found this. Flavor is fine, but the texture is likely to be compared to pressboard. I think I will add 1/4 C canola oil next time, and let the oats soak up some of the apple juice (maybe add a bit more juice for that) --- maybe add egg whites. It's possible that reducing cooking time might also be worth a try.
I just absolutely loved this recipe. I would love to make this again. for the dried fruit, I used raisins and for the pureed fruit I used one mashed banana and some applesauce. it's a nice combination.
Perfect recipe for watching weight, thanks for submitting such a great recipe.