Recipe by Steve Kent
While looking for something a little different, I concocted this from a number of different sources and it was well received at potlucks. You can substitute egg substitute and reduce milk a little and it works well. Baking time may vary
- 8 slices of fresh bread, cubed
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb pork sausage (or sausage/bacon combination)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper (chopped)
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup black olives (chopped)
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 8 extra large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim crust from bread and cut in 2 inch cubes Spray 9 X 13 Casserole dish with nonstick spray and put cubed bread in the dish Brown and drain sausage Add chopped peppers and olives and stir into mixture (heat through only) Combine beaten eggs, dry mustard, and 2 cups of milk in a bowl.
- Layer sausage mixture on top of bread Layer Cheese on top of sausage mixture Layer Sliced Mushrooms on top of Cheese Pour egg mixture into dish, cover and refrigerate overnight When ready to bake, combine soup and 1/2 cup milk and pour over top of dish Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- (Check to make sure egg mixture is cooked in the middle of the dish).
- I forgot to add the eggs. Use 8 large eggs. Mix and pour over the layered mixture. Egg substitute works well by reducing the milk by 1/2 cup ..