Recipe by Gramma Connie Verbeck
This is a wonderful almost do ahead breakfast. Great for company or Christmas morning.
Top Review by hillbillyheart
We absolutely LOVE this! I've made it countless times since I found it on here about three years ago. Sometimes when I'm in a crunch for time and don't want to dice all of the veggies I will use the frozen onion and green pepper mix that you get at the grocery store. I've also drained canned tomatoes and used those in a rush too. It does taste best with fresh vegetables though. We are doing low carb now and I substitute cauliflower for the potatoes. It is just as delicious! I can probably say that I've cooked this recipe more than any other on this site. Thanks!
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 -3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (24 ounce) bag frozen hash brown potatoes
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 lb cubed ham or 1⁄2 lb thin sliced ham or 1⁄2 lb cooked crumbled bacon or 1⁄2-1 lb sausage
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine and place in the bottom of 9" by 13" baking pan.
- Spread potatoes (still frozen is okay) in bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle chopped vegetables over potatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle meat over potatoes and vegetables.
- Note: At this point you may continue or casserole may be refrigerated overnight.
- Pour beaten eggs over potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Bake another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let set for approximately 5 minutes.
- Cut into 2.5"-3" squares and serve with a spatula. Enjoy.