Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Cooks while you sleep! Sounds perfect for a Sunday morning or holidays and great for company! Some fun variations of this recipe. Before cooking (during prep) you can add: chunks of sourdough bread, diced chilies, salsa, diced green onions. Serve hot with a glass of orange juice and a side of toast.
- 737.08 g bag frozen hash browns
- 12 eggs
- 118.29 ml milk
- 14.79 ml ground mustard
- 453.59 g sausage (maple, sage or regular sausage.)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 453.59 g shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 large onion
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- Spray crock pot and evenly spread hash browns at the bottom.
- Crack 12 eggs in a large bowl.
- Mix well (and slowly) using a whisk.
- Add the milk.
- Go ahead and sprinkle in the ground mustard. This might sound like a weird ingredient, but I've come to love (and use) this in most of my recipes.
- Add plenty of salt -- and lots of fresh pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Cook the sausage on high heat, drain and set aside.
- Add sausage on top of hash browns.
- Is this enough cheese? Maybe? Probably. Throw the whole big bag in there.
- Mix it up well. Or good, depending on where you're from.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything in the crock pot. Using a wood spoon, even everything out so it's spread evenly.
- Turn the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
Very good recipe! Next time I will add lots of green chiles and mix it with pepper jack cheese! Add some bacon too-just because!!! Serve it with tortilla's and fresh grapes( in season right now)!!! Perfect! Stress free breakfast. If you use a small crock pot plan 8 hours and for a larger crock pot 6 hours is perfect!
This is very bland when made as directed. I would decrease the dried mustard and amp up the flavor with sauteed vegetables - peppers, onions, spinach with liquid squeezed out, and add a tsp or 2 of dried basil. Also agree that this was done much sooner than indicated - overnight is too long for this to cook.
I was not impressed. The result was significantly overcooked. I used a 7.5 qt. Crock Pot brand slow cooker and cooked for 7 hours. With less time or a smaller appliance, it might have been better. Also, the directins were unclear and there were ingredients listed that were not even mentioned in the directions. I have since located the original version of this recipe at All Kinds of Yumm blog with pictures for each step, which clarifies the process a bit. Will not make again.