Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Cooks while you sleep! Sounds perfect for a Sunday morning or holidays and great for company! Some fun variations of this recipe. Before cooking (during prep) you can add: chunks of sourdough bread, diced chilies, salsa, diced green onions. Serve hot with a glass of orange juice and a side of toast.
- Spray crock pot and evenly spread hash browns at the bottom.
- Crack 12 eggs in a large bowl.
- Mix well (and slowly) using a whisk.
- Add the milk.
- Go ahead and sprinkle in the ground mustard. This might sound like a weird ingredient, but I've come to love (and use) this in most of my recipes.
- Add plenty of salt -- and lots of fresh pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Cook the sausage on high heat, drain and set aside.
- Add sausage on top of hash browns.
- Is this enough cheese? Maybe? Probably. Throw the whole big bag in there.
- Mix it up well. Or good, depending on where you're from.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything in the crock pot. Using a wood spoon, even everything out so it's spread evenly.
- Turn the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.
Very good recipe! Next time I will add lots of green chiles and mix it with pepper jack cheese! Add some bacon too-just because!!! Serve it with tortilla's and fresh grapes( in season right now)!!! Perfect! Stress free breakfast. If you use a small crock pot plan 8 hours and for a larger crock pot 6 hours is perfect!
This is very bland when made as directed. I would decrease the dried mustard and amp up the flavor with sauteed vegetables - peppers, onions, spinach with liquid squeezed out, and add a tsp or 2 of dried basil. Also agree that this was done much sooner than indicated - overnight is too long for this to cook.
This is an interesting recipe which turned out surprisingly good! I used Italian spicy sausage to heat up the casserole. The taste was excellent! Will try with bacon like other reviewers suggested next time.