Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
We make this the night before and breakfast for Christmas is ready in a snap. Served with hash browns, juice and coffee and your not spending all morning in the kitchen.
- 7 slices white bread
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, thinly diced and fried crisp
- 1⁄2 lb mild sausage, fried crisp
- Trim crusts from bread, cut into cubes, cover bottom of a 12x7" casserole and sprinkle with cheese.
- Beat eggs, add milk and mix well.
- Stir salt, pepper and dry mustard into the egg mixture, add bacon and sausage, stirring until well blended.
- Pour over cheese, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning put in a 350F oven and bake for 50-55 minutes.
My whole family loved this. That doesn't happen too often. I used sausage but will try the bacon next time. I will be doing this for Christmas morning Can't wait to have it again! Fabulous!!
This is soooo good! We've made it twice, the first time, exactly as mentioned above, although we used spicey sausage. It was even better the second time, I added 1/2 cup chunky salsa, and only 2 1/2 cups milk. I think you could even fancy it up a bit by adding swiss cheese & instead of bacon & sausage, just add sauted canadian bacon, I would also and onion. I think I will try this version next saturday. Thanks for a recipe that is a keeper.
Perfect for Christmas morning! I prepared this the day before and increased the sausage to 1 pound. Only used 2 cups milk, as was suggested by others. Refrigerated overnight and then put it in a cold oven and increased the cooking time to 60 minutes. It was ready just as we finished opening presents. One lesson I learned the hard way, should you find yourself in this situation: My casserole dish was 11x7, so slightly smaller than suggested and my casserole filled it to the brim. This did not seem like a big deal until I was summoned to the kitchen by the smoke detector---the juices were overflowing the dish and burning on the bottom of my oven! Duh! Next time I will put a cookie sheet under the pan to catch the overflow. Had to clean the oven before I cooked the ham in the afternoon. Regardless, breakfast was delish! At hubby's request, I will try this with chorizo next time. Oh, and there WILL be a next time!