Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A complete Breakfast in one easy, hearty casserole. Give them their Eggs, Sausage, Hash Browns and Toast anytime of the day. Have fun with my own recipe by making your own substitutions. Try adding Ham instead of Sausage or Swiss instead of Cheddar.
- 5 medium potatoes, shredded fine (or 4c frozen Hashbrowns)
- 1 -2 lb sausage, crumbled, cooked & drained
- 4 slices day-old white bread, cubed small
- 6 large eggs
- 1 small onions or 1 medium onion, diced
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 -3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (or 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. pepper & if desired 1/2 tsp. dry mustard)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook & drain crumbled sausage.
- Add onion to sausage and cook another minute or so, set aside.
- Peel & finely Shred potatoes unless using frozen.
- Spray 9X13 glass pan with cooking spray.
- Working in layers, start with the potatoes, press evenly in bottom of pan & sprinkle with 1/4 of the cheese.
- Next add the sausage onion mixture evenly across first layer & sprinkle with 1/4 cheese.
- Place bread cubes evenly across the sausage layer & sprinkle with 1/4 cheese.
- In med bowl mix scramble the eggs with the milk.
- If choosing to use the salt, pepper, dry mustard option add these to egg mixture and mix very well (if using Mrs. Dash skip this step).
- Pour mixture evenly over bread layer & press lightly with spatula to help soak bread.
- Sprinkle evenly with Mrs. Dash (if opted).
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered 35 minutes or until firm in 350 degree oven.
We used 1 tsp.mustard, 1 pound sausage, and slightly less hashbrowns in our version and this was delish! thank you for sharing! Made for Pick A Chef '08.
Oh my, this is a very nice casserole. I can't believe no one has reviewed it yet! I cheated and used part ham and part lean ground turkey instead of the sausage (that's what was in the fridge and needed to be used), but using breakfast sausage would only make this better. I did replace 4 of the eggs with an equivalent amount of egg whites (from a carton). I also used homemade all whole wheat bread instead of white bread (100% Whole Grain Wheat Bread). And I used half cheddar and half swiss because the cheddar in my fridge was an extremely aged cheddar and is too powerful a flavor all by itself. Oh, and I don't eat onion, so left that out. Thanks for sharing, this is a keeper.