Cook1 hr 10 mins
Somewhere between a savory bread pudding and a strata, I cobbled this together from leftover bits and pieces; it's great refrigerator velcro. I used English muffins for the bread; feel free to use any slightly stale non-sweet bread. You can use whatever milk you have: skim, 1%, 2% or whole.
- 6 ounces stale bread, cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 lb frozen diced onion
- 1⁄4 lb frozen diced green pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 ounces prosciutto, cut in small pieces
- 3 eggs
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray a 1 1/2 qt straight sided baking dish (a souffle dish) with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, toss bread, cheese, onions, peppers and prosciutto together.
- In a large measuring cup, beat eggs. Add enough milk to make 2 cups total liquid. Stir in salt, pepper, mustard and worcestershire. Pour over bread mixture and let stand 10-15 minutes while oven gets hot.
- Pour mixture into prepared dish. Set dish on a baking sheet and place into oven. Bake 45 minutes. Sprinkle with parmigiano and bake another 15-20 minutes until puffy and browned.