Prep 12 mins
Cook 1 hr
Mix this up at night for a super easy and scrumptious breakfast for your overnight guests.
- 1 lb bulk sausage, like Jimmy Dean
- 4 cups bread, cut in pieces (day or two old is best)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- Cook and crumble sausage, drain.
- Put bread in well buttered 9x13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and spices.
- Pour over the bread and cheese.
- Sprinkle sausage and mushrooms on top.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Heat oven to 325*.
- Bake, uncovered for 1 hour.
This was a wonderful recipe to serve Christmas morning! I prepared it the night before and had it ready to serve as soon as all our gifts were opened. Worked out perfectly! I prepared as directed only using salt and freshly grounded pepper as the only seasoning. I served with hot buttered toast along with Apple French Toast Casserole by Terri F. Thanks so much for sharing this marvelous recipe!
This was wonderful! I made this for Christmas brunch and the best part was it was ready to pop in the oven that morning while we opened gifts. We really enjoyed this Inez, it was delicious, and we decided this is to be our Christmas morning casserole from now on. THANKS!
This has been a breakfast casserole that I absolutely love making. It is so delicious and when I got the recipe it was called Christmas Casserole...but it is too good to wait to have only once a year! ;)