Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
egg and sausage casserole
- 1 lb ground pork sausage
- 10 slices white bread, cubed (6 cups)
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Cook sausage in a skillet over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well.
- Place bread cubes in a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish; sprinkle bread evenly with cheese, and top with sausage.
- Whisk together eggs and remaining ingredients; pour evenly over sausage mixture. Cover and chill casserole for 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until set.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This made Christmas for my husband... His mom always makes this every Christmas morning, and we weren't able to fly back to see them this year, so I found this recipe and made it for him. My only change was to add one extra egg, and I only had Colby/Jack cheese. Cooked and set perfectly in 45 minutes. I'll try it with sharper cheese next time. Thanks for sharing!
Excellent and simple! I didnt have time to stand 8 hours but was still VERY tasty adn an excellent weekend breakfast. I will make it again when we have visitors staying at the weekend - its far more economical than a cooked brekfast - but has all the flavour!