Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is our Christmas breakfast tradition. All the work is done ahead of time so we can open presents and enjoy a hot & tasty breakfast. Serve with fresh fruit and mimosa's for an extra special treat! Substitute spinach and mushrooms for sausage for veggie only eaters.
- 1 (4 cup) packagelarge seasoned croutons
- 2 cups grated monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, blend
- 1 lb bulk maple sausage or 1 lb bulk sage sausage
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sliced jalapeno (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cooked bacon, pieces (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Cook sausage until well done in a small/medium skillet. Drain fat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with milk, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Mix in cheese, cooked sausage and croutons, and other optional ingredients (only one additional recommended).
- Pour mix into a casserole dish and cover with plastic.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Uncover and bake at 350°F for 1 hour, serve hot and enjoy!