Recipe by ellie_
This breakfast casserole can be made the night ahead, refrigerated and cooked in the morning for a no-stress breakfast. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (April 1984)
Top Review by PaulaG
I reduced the recipe to make 2 generous servings. I prepared it last night, covered, put in the fridge and then allowed it to come to room temperature this morning. It made a nice breakfast and would be great when you have guests to mix up and pop into the oven for breakfast.
- 1 1⁄2 slices bread, crusts removed and bread torn into pieces
- 1 cup milk
- 4 green onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounces muenster cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes (or use your favorite cheese)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 12 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Butter a 6-cup baking dish and set aside.
- In a food processor process bread to make crumbs and then transfer crumbs to a small bowl. Add milk to crumbs in bowl and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Chop green onions in food processor or by hand.
- In a skillet over medium high heat melt butter and add green onions and mushrooms, cooking until soft (5 minutes). Set aside but leave mixture in skillet.
- Using a food processor chop cheese with cilantro and parsley and then transfer to a second small bowl.
- In a large bowl blend eggs, bread crumb mixture, salt and pepper and then stir in water.
- Return skillet (with green onion mixture) to stove over medium heat. Add egg mixture to skillet, stirring until soft but not set (5 minutes).
- Spread half of the egg mixture into prepared dish, sprinkling with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat with remaining egg mixture and cheese. ***Can be refrigerated at this point covered and refrigerated for up to 12 hours.Bring to room temperature before proceeding***.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until light brown and puffy.