Recipe by Felix4067
This one works very well for making the night before (cover and refrigerate before baking); increase the cooking time slightly or take it out to warm up for about a half hour before baking. Sausage or other meat is optional.
Top Review by ~SarahBeth~
I doubled this recipe (leaving out the cottage cheese and adding some milk) for 7 twenty something boys (men?) to take on a trip to the lake. I made it and did not bake it just kept it refrigerated! They heated it up this morning for breakfast and I have had messages from all of them saying how good it was! So it gets my stamp of approval and anything that that many picky eaters will all chow down on is a winner in my book! Other than the cottage cheese the only change I made was to add some salt and pepper and some seasoned salt to the potatoes! Thanks for posting! Oh and I lied before I used bacon instead of sausage! Oops! :)
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage (optional)
- 3 cups potatoes, shredded, drained and pressed
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 12 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 lb small curd cottage cheese
- 6 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- If using sausage, place in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown; drain, crumble and set aside.
- Stir together shredded potatoes and melted butter.
- Line bottom and sides of a medium glass baking dish with potato mixture.
- Combine cooked sausage (if using), cheddar cheese, onion, green pepper, cottage cheese and eggs; pour mixture into baking dish.
- Bake for 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the casserole comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes before serving.