Top Review by Karen Jones
I have been making this very casserole for Christmas breakfast for at least 20 years. If I dared make anything else, I think my family would return the gifts they got me! There are lots of easier egg casseroles out there, but this is by far the best!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 12 eggs
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter.
- Blend in flour and pepper.
- Gradually add milk and stir until thickened.
- Add cheese; mix and set aside.
- Fry bacon and onions until browned.
- Add eggs and scramble just until set.
- Add mushrooms and cheese sauce and put into a greased baking dish (9x13-inch).
- Mix breadcrumbs with 3 tablespoons melted butter and paprika; sprinkle over egg mixture.
- Chill for 30 minutes at least OR put in fridge overnight.
- To serve, bake for 30-minutes in a 350F oven.