Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- Melt butter.
- Blend in flour and pepper.
- Gradually add milk and stir until thickened.
- Add cheese; mix and set aside.
- Fry bacon and onions until browned.
- Add eggs and scramble just until set.
- Add mushrooms and cheese sauce and put into a greased baking dish (9x13-inch).
- Mix breadcrumbs with 3 tablespoons melted butter and paprika; sprinkle over egg mixture.
- Chill for 30 minutes at least OR put in fridge overnight.
- To serve, bake for 30-minutes in a 350F oven.
I have been making this very casserole for Christmas breakfast for at least 20 years. If I dared make anything else, I think my family would return the gifts they got me! There are lots of easier egg casseroles out there, but this is by far the best!
I used this recipe for hearty breakfast muffins. I baked the bacon in a 400 degree oven then chopped it and sauteed it briefly with the onions. While the mixture is in the fridge for 30 minutes, line muffin tin with paper holders. Divide batter into muffin tin (mine makes 12) and bake for 30-35 minutes. These freeze well and can be warmed by microwaving for 2 minutes. I'm not sure how long these will keep in the freezer because we eat them in just a few days. My kids like to have salsa and cheese on top-not for me, but they really like it.