Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This feeds a pretty large crowd, and most of it can be put together ahead of time and refrigerated overnight. I like this one because you don't have to cook the hash browns before adding to the casserole.
- 1 lb pork sausage (I like spicy, but mild works fine)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (30 ounce) bag frozen hash browns
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- seasoning salt, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Brown sausage and 2 tbsp onion together until done.
- Drain and set aside.
- Mix hash browns, remaining onions, seasoned salt, pepper and onion powder together.
- Place this mixture in lightly greased 9 x 13 dish.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Spoon sausage on top of cheese, then mushrooms (if desired).
- Can be refrigerated overnight or frozen at this point.
- When ready to bake, mix together the eggs, milk and salt and pepper to taste, then pour this over the casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
One of my favorite breakfast for dinner recipes. I usually leave out the sausage and add more vegetables due to personal preference. I love that it can be prepared ahead of time and just popped in the oven after work.
What an easy casserole for the morning or brunch. Topped with salsa, and it was gone! My husband loved that there were hashbrowns instead of bread in it! Thanks for sharing!
I have made this many times (so I am surprised I have not yet reviewed it). It is very good and always a hit. I have made it for family and for potlucks a few times. Recipe is very versatile, I have added in green pepper with the sausage and I think I will add green chilis next time. I also usually put in about 8/9 eggs and then just cook it for a few min longer.