Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
In 'The America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook'
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, removed from its casing
- 1⁄2 cup minced red onion
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped small
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 large egg whites
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 (8 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup shredded 50 percent light cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (fresh or jarred)
- *Note--ATK recommends using 4 whole eggs and 1/2 cup store-bought egg whites (to avoid wasting yolks); Eggology 100% Egg Whites tested the best in their kitchen; do not use skim milk.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Stir in the onion, bell pepper, and cayenne; cook until the vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the scallions and garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the sausage mixture to a bowl and cover to keep warm; wipe out the skillet with paper towels.
- Whisk the egg whites, egg yolks, milk, salt, and pepper together in a bowl.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the eggs and cook, gently pushing, lifting, and folding them from one side of the pan to the other, until they are nicely clumped, shiny, and wet, about 2 minutes.
- Quickly transfer the eggs to the bowl with the sausage and fold gently to combine.
- Stack the tortillas on top of one another, with sheets of paper towel between them, and microwave on high until the tortillas are hot and steaming, 30-60 seconds.
- Divide the eggs, cheddar, and salsa evenly between the tortillas.
- Roll up the tortillas into burritos and serve.
- Per serving--300 calories, 12 g fat, 30 g carb, 19 g protein.