Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a great way to use up left over Chile Verde Con Cerdo (Green Chili With Pork). Try a combination of the meats suggested or just chose one of them. Make this casserole lasagna style.
- 1 lb smoked beef sausage, diced or 1 lb bacon, crumbled (try Recipe #242966 for easy bacon bits) or 1 lb breakfast sausage, browned
- 8 large eggs, scrambled
- 4 -5 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- 10 flour tortillas
- 2 cups green chili sauce (canned green enchilada sauce works well if you don't wish to make green chili)
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Pan fry the diced potatoes, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a little shortening, vegetable oil or rendered bacon fat until browned and nearly done; add onions and peppers and continue to cook until potatoes are done and onions and peppers are tender. (or you can fry up a pre-packaged bag of O'Brian potatoes if desired).
- Remove from heat and stir in the meat and scrambled eggs.
- Cut the tortillas in half; lay them in a 9 x 13 rectangular pan, placing the cut edges square to the side of the pan, over lapping as needed.
- Spread a 1/3 of the meat, potato and egg mixture on top of tortillas.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce over the meat, potatoes and egg.
- Sprinkle on 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Repeat layer once more.
- Add one more layer by adding tortillas and meat, potatoes and egg.
- Top with another layer of tortillas; pour last cup of sauce over the tortilla covered casserole.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until hot and the cheese is melted.
- Top with lettuce and tomatoes if desired.
- Serve with sour cream.