Recipe by snowridrchic
From "The Good Breakfast Book"
Top Review by Roosie
I tried one of these out of the oven and said "uh oh" but after they cooled and sat overnight, they got much better! They have a very tofu texture and by that I mean the texture is acutally like a piece of tofu. I added about 1/4 cup walnuts and chocolate chips because I was worried about these being palatable. I used a very nice organic dutch process cocoa powder, but BF and I agree that we don't think these are quite chocolatey enough. I would like them to be more cakey- they're just so thick textured (like I said before, almost like tofu). Mine also came out very thin. I like the idea of the recipe, but I also think that it needs some tinkering to be good- I think it could probably use some fat or oil and maybe use some sugar even... They were interesting and I'm glad I tried them- I think they do have potential (because they are wonderfully moist, but these do have that gummy chewy low-fat texture) but I probably wouldn't make them again... I would like to give this 3 1/2 stars, but I am going ahead and upping it to 4 because of their potential. Thanks, though! **UPDATE** I found that after a couple days of sitting, the chocolate flavor intensified in these (although they still weren't as chocolatey as I would have liked). Stored in the refrigerator thse take on a fudgier texture and less of a chewy tofy texture. They were enjoyed! Thanks.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mashed tofu (4oz)
- 2 tablespoons applesauce or 2 tablespoons mashed bananas
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa or 1⁄4 cup carob powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine dry ingredients and then wet ingredients.
- Mix together well with a mixer or food processor until very smooth.
- If too thick, add a tb of water.
- Spread batter in an 8" square pan sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Don't overbake!
- Let cool in pan about 10 minutes and then cut.