Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Special breakfast dish for guests
- 1 loaf French bread (slightly stale) or 1 loaf Italian bread (slightly stale)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon curd
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cut bread in half lengthwise.
- Spread bottom half with lemon curd.
- Replace top and cut down center from end to end, then crosswise into 3/4" slices.
- Arrange bread in small (2 1/2-cup) shallow baking dishes or a 13" x 9" baking dish. Place small baking dishes on 2 jelly roll pans.
- Lightly beat eggs.
- Add milk, half-and-half, sugar, vanilla, and salt, beating until blended.
- Pour 2/3 cup custard into each small casserole.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake small casseroles 50 to 55 minutes (large casserole 1 to 1 1/4 hours), until cooked through.
- blueberry sauce:.
- combine sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan.
- Stir in water until smooth.
- Add blueberries. Cook, gently stirring over low heat, just until boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Boil 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Serve with bread pudding.