Prep 8 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Make the night before and pop in the oven for a delicious breakfast! Serve with maple syrup or heated raspberry jam. I have halved it with no difficulty. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 12 slices white bread
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 cups Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Cut bread into cubes.
- Cut cream cheese into cubes.
- Toss bread lightly with cream cheese.
- Place into a greased 9x13-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, milk, syrup, salt, and vanilla together until well mixed.
- Pour egg mixture over bread mixture.
- Cover and chill in fridge 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes before cutting.
I have been looking forward to trying this for awhile and finally had everything on hand today. I was anticipating a rich and creamy treat but sadly it failed to deliver that. I very rarely use cream cheese but thought I'd indulge here. Somehow it just vanished into the pudding without adding any creaminess or richness. I switched the amounts of egg and milk (more milk than egg) and still the puddings main characteristic was "egginess". It's best part was the hint of maple but I found that it really needed quite a bit more sweetening(I sprinkled Splenda and cinnamon on my serving) and I think that it would be improved by adding cinnamon, raisins and/or nuts. I'm really sorry to only give this 3 stars but I found it shy of keeping the promise it gives when you see the cream cheese and maple syrup in the ingredients.