Recipe by Cooking Ventures
This is one of the Top 5 recipes from my blog. It's easy to make and is perfect for breakfasts on Sunday mornings or family get-togethers. Enjoy -- and happy eating!
- 3 cups tater tots (medallion-shaped Crispy Crowns work best)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced (optional but not very spicy when it is added in)
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups of shredded cheese (freshly grated always works best)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven for the Crispy Crowns (per the package instructions).
- While the oven is preheating, chop all of the vegetables in preparation for cooking. Start heating a large skillet over medium heat with 1 TBSP oil.
- When the skillet is hot, add the onions to the skillet. While the onions are cooking, add the Crispy Crowns to a baking sheet and bake per the package instructions. After the onions have cooked for 2 – 3 minutes, add the garlic, red bell pepper, and jalapeño (if using). Cook 1 minute longer. Add the sausage, breaking it up into smaller pieces as it cooks. Brown and drain. Reduce the heat to low to keep the sausage warm while the other items are prepared.
- About 5 minutes before the potatoes are done, heat another small skillet over medium heat. Add the butter. After the butter has melted, add the beaten eggs and some salt and pepper. Scramble the eggs until they are barely firm.
- Assembly: Add the scrambled eggs and hot Crispy Crowns to the cooked sausage mixture and gently stir to combine. Add to individual plates or serving bowls and top with shredded cheese. Serve with toast or warm tortillas.
- Want to Lighten it Up?.
- 1) Use reduced-fat sausage. I normally use Jimmy Dean Reduced-fat Sausage.
- 2) Instead of using 5 whole eggs, try separating 2 eggs with 3 whole eggs (or all egg whites).
- 3) Use reduced-fat cheese. I normally use 2% cheddar that I freshly grate before adding it to the breakfast bowl. Don't go overboard on the cheese if you want to keep the calories to a minimum.
- 4) Use only about 2 cups of the Crispy Crowns (instead of 3 cups) to cut down on the calories, fat, and carb content.