1/3 Photos of Breakfast Beans
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
A recipe from the Australian Women's Weekly. Suggested beans can be served on thickly slice sourdough toast. This recipe uses dried beans- overnight soaking is required. Recipe can be made ahead and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Canned beans can be used for this recipe. Cooking time does not include overnight soaking of the beans
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 473.18 ml dried cannellini beans (400 grams)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 2 rindless bacon, rashers chopped coarsely (130 grams)
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 59.14 ml maple syrup
- 14.79 ml Dijon mustard (4 teaspoons)
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 1000.0 ml water
- flat leaf parsley, finely chopped for decoration
- 1Wash and strain the beans. Place the beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Stand overnight and then drain them. RInse under fresh cold water and drain the beans again.
- 2Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion, garlic and bacan. Cook, stirring until the onion softens.
- 3Stir in the beans, sugar, syrup and mustard. Add undrained tomatoes and the water and then bring to the boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 2 hours or until the beans are tender.
- 5Uncover, cook, stirring occassionally, about 30 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- 6Serve beans on toast, sprinkled with parsley.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Breakfast Beans
Serving Size: 1 (343 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.9
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 55.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.6 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 15.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: