Recipe by WendiMommyOf3
This came from about.com where it was Apple Breakfast Batter Bread but I changed it to make the substitutions I wanted and put it here for safekeeping. Will update once made.
- 1⁄4 cup water, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast or 1⁄2 ounce active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk or 1 1⁄4 cups milk, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup vanilla-flavored syrup or 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds or 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup raisins or 1 cup currants
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3 cups flour (divided)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix water and yeast. Add milk, butter, syrup, egg, cinnamon, flax or wheat germ, and salt. Stir. Mix in raisins or currants, oats, and 2 Celsius flour. Slowly add in remaining 1 Celsius flour. Cover bowl with clean kitchen cloth and let dough rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Stir down thick batter for 20 seconds and scrape into greased 1.5 quart casserole dish. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 30 minutes or until doubled. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour or until bread is brown and sounds hollow when tapped on. Carefully remove loaf from casserole and let cool. Cut bread into wedges and serve.
- If desired, brush loaves with butter immediately after baking to produce a soft crust.