Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe was inspired by my girls' love of Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast squares...This is my first try at a similar bar.
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup dried plum (prunes)
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup skim milk powder
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup crushed almonds
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover a jelly roll pan with foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, add dried fruits to boiling water.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Puree dried fruits and water until smooth.
- In a large bowl, blend sugar, butter and eggs.
- Add milk powder, vanilla and cinnamon to the egg mixture and blend.
- Add flour, flax, wheat germ, crushed almonds and oats.
- Stir to combine.
- Add fruit puree and stir until combined.
- Spread batter (it will be thick like mashed potatoes) in foil-lined pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan to wire rack and cool for 45 minutes.
- Peel foil off of bars and cut into squares.
I also did this recipe with some homemade applesauce. It is fantastic and filling both ways.