Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the May 2008 Whole Living Body+Soul magazine.
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil, plus more for pan
- 1 1⁄4 cups spelt, flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄4 cup sprouted or ground flax seed
- 1⁄4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brush an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with oil. Line bottom and two sides with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each side. Brush paper with oil.
- In a bowl, combine spelt, cherries, flaxseeds, pecans, pistachios, and salt; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, peanut butter, oil, and vanilla. Cook over medium until melted. Add to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until golden and edges pull away from sides of pan, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan. Using paper overhang, lift bars out of pan.
- On a cutting board, cut into 8 pieces using a serrated knife.
- Store in an airtight container, separating pieces with wax or parchment paper, for one week.