Recipe by Chef Sunshine
This fragrant porridge cooks for about an hour unless you use quick barley. Make a whole batch and eat it over several days. The soluble fiber in barley has a very low glycemic index and has been shown to lower cholesterol. It is a delicious change from oatmeal.
Top Review by smagdars
Absolutely loved this recipe! I am always looking for new ways to cook barley, because it is so good for you. I agree with others, only 1/2 cup of raisins are needed...that's plenty. I didn't have a cinnamon stick, so I used ground cinnamon instead. Also, you really need to cook this uncovered.
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups apple cider or 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add the barley and the cinnamon stick. Cook slowly over low heat for about 45 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add the lemon juice, apple cider and raisins, if you are using them.
- Continue cooking over low heat, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the barley is thick, about 30 more minutes.
- Serve with milk or soy milk or eat plain.