Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This our favorite breakfast casserole. I always have one in the freezer.
- 4 1⁄2 cups seasoned croutons
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- Sprinkle croutons, cheese, onion, peppers and mushrooms into two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, salt, mustard and pepper. Slowly pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- To use frozen casserole: Completely thaw in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
Tasty, handy, and it freezes great;) It surprises me that you don't find more breakfast egg recipes where they mention freezing it.
Well, this is the casserole I always make for Christmas morning and other times of the year as well. We all love it! WE usually don't add the peppers but everything else is the same. I have always made it in the evening and let it soak in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning you just bake it! So easy. I didn't think about freezing it! I will try that next time I make it and make 2!