Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
I first had this at a little deli I've been making it religiously at home ever since. This is the only way my boyfriend will eat bagels. This is best with very ripe, fresh tomatoes.
- 2 bagels
- 4 tablespoons cream cheese (or to taste, I use chive and onion flavor)
- 1⁄4 cup thin slices red onion
- 6 -8 fresh basil leaves, cut into slivers
- 1⁄2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- fresh ground pepper
- cut the bagels in half lenght wise and toast to desired done-ness.
- spread cream cheese on each half, then layer tomatoes, red onion and basil on top of each half. Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper.
What a great breakfast alternative, it's healthy, filling and very tasty. Light and very flavorful. I knew that I would enjoy this tasty treat. Served on a toasted sesame bagel. Thank you for sharing. Made for CQ3 - New York
Delicious, as I knew it would be! This was such a fresh breakfast! I used the brown Kumoto tomatoes, because that's what I had on hand. So not as pretty as a bright red slice. But the flavor was great! Thanks for posting! Made for Culinary Quest 2016.
Delicious way to show case the summer harvest of tomatoes and basil. I used the chive and onion flavored cream cheese as suggested and the works bagels making DH and I very happy campers this morning. Thanks for the post.