- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 100 g bacon (3.5oz 97% fat free chopped)
- 1 capsicum (red bell pepper chopped)
- 400 g red kidney beans (13oz rinsed and drained)
- 400 g cannellini beans (130z rinsed and drained)
- 800 g tomatoes (1lb 10oz chopped)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons basil (finely shredded)
- black pepper (freshly cracked to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a fry pan over medium heat and add the onions and bacon and cook for 5 minutes or until soft and golden and then add the capsicum and cook for 3 minutes or until soft.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes and sugar and bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the basil and season with cracked black pepper and serve with toasted wholegrain bread - also good stuffed into a baked potatoe for a light meal.