Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Just breadsticks with a very good flavor. My wife likes 'em unglazed or with garlic butter topping - either way. I enjoy breads made with both buttermilk and sourdough. No sourdough? No problem. A few pinches of yeast in a mixture of flour and water and 6 hours later you have a flavorful base to the recipe. This dough is designed to be a little stiff. Feel free to add a couple of additional tablespoons of buttermilk if desired.
Sourdough or Poolish Sponge
- 3⁄4 cup flour (all purpose unbleached 91g)
- 1⁄3 cup water (76g)
- 1 tablespoon water (14g)
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour (all purpose unbleached-170g)
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk (any kind-58g)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (14g)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or honey-6g)
- 1 teaspoon yeast (instant-3g)
- If using sourdough, refresh your starter with equal weights flour and water. you'll need 182 g of starter.
- If using a poolish sponge, mix 91 g water with 91 g flour and add 1/8 teaspoon of yeast. Allow to double in volume at room temperature 6 to 9 hours.
- Mix sponge with buttermilk and add the dough ingredients.
- Knead by hand for about 8 minutes and rest for 15 minutes covered.
- Stretch dough into a rectangle and tri-fold letter style top to bottom, side to side. Cover and rest 15 minutes.
- Stretch and fold and cover in a straight-sided clear container until doubled in volume about 30 more minutes or a little longer.
- Roll out dough into a rectangle 6" by 12" and slice into 16 strips 8" long.
- Twist and place on parchment paper.
- cover and proof for 30 minutes as oven preheats to 400°F.
- Bake for 7 minutes, rotate pan and bake 5 to 7 minutes longer until 200F internally and lightly browned.