Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Variation: ONION TWISTS Chop 1 onion finely, saute in the oil before mixing with the dough. Twist each stick.
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon barley malt
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional) or caraway seed (optional)
- Place first 3 ingredients in a bowl& let stand 5 minutes Add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix dough until it forms a ball, then knead 10 minutes until smooth.
- Oil a bowl, turn dough around to coat, then cover dough& let rise until double.
- Press dough down, break off 24 pieces.
- Roll each into a stick about 8" long.
- If desired, roll in sesame or caraway seeds.
- Place on an oiled baking sheet.
- Cover with waxed paper and let rise again.
- Bake at 400*F for 5 minutes, turn over with tongs, bake 5 to 7 minutes more.