Recipe by Sharlene~W
I found these tasty breadsticks in a Good Housekeeping cookbook. With quick-rise yeast, they don't need the long rising time of other yeast breads.
Top Review by HMS
This tasted really great and was simple to make, but being pressed for time, I didn't want to roll the dough into sticks. I tried rolling 1/4 of the dough about 1/2 inch thick, put it on a baking sheet, and then cut it with a pizza cutter about 1 inch wide. Then I brushed it with olive oil (butter would have been better) and sprinkled with garlic etc. Great recipe, my family will want these breadsticks often.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages fast rise yeast
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups very warm water (120 to 130 F)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons caraway seeds or 3 tablespoons sesame seeds or 3 tablespoons poppy seeds or 3 tablespoons coarse salt or 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine yeast, salt and 2 cups flour.
- Stir in very warm water; beat vigorously 1 minute.
- Stir in oil.
- Gradually stir in 2 1/4 cups of the flour.
- If using caraway seeds, stir them in now.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Work in just enough of remaining dough to keep dough from sticking.
- Cover dough loosely with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- Cut dough in half.
- Cover one half; cut remaining half into 32 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece into a 12-inch long rope.
- Place ropes 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- If not using caraway seeds, sprinkle with sesame seeds, poppy seeds, salt or Parmesan.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes (if using 2 cookie sheets, rotate in oven halfway through cooking time).
- Rosemary-Fennel Variation: Omit caraway, sesame, salt, poppy seeds or Parmesan.
- To mixture in step 1 add 2 teaspoons fennel seeds (crushed), 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves (crumbled) and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper.
- Continue as directed.
- Repeat with other half.