Delicious bread sticks that we enjoy with soup or salad. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 1986)
Make and share this Breadsticks recipe from Food.com.
- Combine 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt in large bowl. Stir in oil.
- Add water (1 1/4 cups) and combine well until well blended (2 minutes with an electric mixer or a bit longer by hand).
- Beat (or stir in) in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead for one minute or until smooth. Divide dough in half.
- Working with one half at a time, Roll one half into a 10-inch log.
- Cut log into 1-inch pieces. Cut each piece in half. Roll each piece into a 10-inch stick. Arrange on foil covered cookie sheets.
- Repeat with remaining dough (you should get about 40 bread sticks) Let rise for 20-30 minutes or until puffy.
- Preheat oven to 300-degrees F.
- Prepare glaze by beating egg white with 1 tablespoon water. Brush bread sticks with glaze and then sprinkle with garlic salt (or if you prefer coarse salt).
- Bake for 45- 50 minutes or until bread sticks are golden brown.
Made the whole batch of this great bread sticks, then shared some of them with a friend who also loves 'em! I made half of them with garlic & half with coarser salt, & although we liked them both ways, I'm leaning a bit more toward those with garlic! I'll definitely be making these again & again! A great keeper of a recipe, for sure! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar Tag, under the 24-hour rule!]
These were just okay for me. I massively scaled down the recipe to make just a few breadsticks. They were alot smaller than I expected. Simple if I'm in a pinch, but not sure I would make again.