If you are looking for something different than the chicken pot pie Grandma used to make, this is the one. I got this recipe from a recipe booklet purchased at a grocery store checkout, but tweaked the ingredients to our taste. It orginally called for alfredo sauce, but we prefer a cheese sauce instead. You could use canned chicken, leftover chicken or turkey, or deli chicken as well. Make SURE the mixture is hot when you put the breadsticks on top, or they will not be cooked through, but gooey on the bottom.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Unroll breadstick dough, separate, twist, and set aside.
- Cook vegetables according to package directions until tender; drain well.
- Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite sized pieces and saute over medium heat in a Dutch oven coated with nonstick cooking spray until lightly browned and juices run clear.
- Add cooked vegetables, jarred cheese sauce, and milk.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Be careful or it will stick.
- Pour hot mixture into an ungreased 13x9x2 baking dish.
- Immediately place twisted breadsticks side by side over chicken mixture, gently stretching to fit.
- Sprinkly top of breadsticks with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings.
- Bake, uncovered, 20-30 minutes or until top is deep golden brown.
- If you cannot find the Ragu Cheese Creations Sauce (my grocery store does not carry it anymore) you may use Alfredo sauce, or any other jarred cheese sauce or white sauce.